Janell Legier-LaCombe:

On October 1, 1952 the third of four daughters was born to Louis and Elmire Legier. The daughter, born in Morganza, Louisiana was named Janell Ann. The family resided in nearby Fordoche, a sleepy little community of mostly farmers tucked away in the southern portion of Pointe Coupee Parish. She attended elementary school at the local Fordoche school and later graduated from high school in May 1970, from Livonia High School. On August 6th, 1970, only three months after graduating from high school, she married her high school sweetheart Joseph Clifford LaCombe Jr. J.C. as he is known, was a local boy from Fordoche, and they eagerly began there new family soon thereafter. Like so many young couples in their generation, getting married at 18 did not seem so strange of an idea. J.C., following in his families tradition, began his apprenticeship in the IBEW Electricians Local 995, and Janell tended to the home while he was at work. Shortly after a year of their wedding date they had their first of two sons. They named him Joseph Clifford LaCombe III. Jay as he is called by the family, was a healthy son, and the happy couple embarked on the journey of life defined by love and affection. The family was joined seven years later by another son, Jeremy Seth. Both sons were healthy and happy children, and the family was now complete.

The young couple purchased a home in Fordoche, and settled into the task of raising their children. They saw both of the children finish elementary school, graduate from high school and grow into men. Jay joined the Navy following his high school and served honorably in Operation Desert Storm in Iraq. The youngest son, Jeremy enrolled in Northwestern State University and earned his bachelor's degree in Political Science.

In late November, 2000, Janell was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma in the lungs. The original diagnosis of lung cancer came as a shock to the family. She did not smoke, rarely drank, exercised daily and had no history of cancer on her side of the family. The family was informed that the cancer was in stage four, in that it had already spread from the original tumor into surrounding areas. J.C. and Jeremy, both of whom were working out of state, quit their jobs and moved back to Fordoche to help take care of Janell. Despite undergoing chemotherapy, Janell succumbed to the cancer on June 8, 2001.

During her life, Janell had taken on and embraced many causes. She was a partner in hope for St Jude Children's Hospital, walked annually at the local Relay for Life benefitting the American Cancer Society, organized a family team to participate in the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society's Light the Night walk in honor of her niece Chrystal and gave generously to dozens of charities. It was this sense of giving back that led her husband and sons to create a organization in her memory. Seeing how she lived her life, and how she always worked to help those who were less fortunate, has made is easy for her family to continue honoring her life's work, and at the same time helping those who need it the most.